One in four Gen Z Canadians are spending over an hour per day on TikTok, despite there seemingly being trust issues with the app.

  • 60% of Canadians say they have never used TikTok, 24% spend an hour or lesson the app each day and 7% spend over an hour each day.
  • Asked which app they would trust most with their personal data, 48% of Canadian social media users say Facebook, 32% say Instagram, 14% say Twitter, while just 6% choose TikTok.
  • 21% of Canadians say they do not use social media.

July 19, 2023

Time spent on TikTok

We asked 1,234 Canadians the average amount of time they spend on TikTok each day. Two in three Canadians (69%) are not currently using the app, 24% are spending an hour or less each day, and 7% are spending more than two hours each day.

Results show a direct relationship between age and time spent on the app. The majority (83%) of Boomers have not used TikTok in the last month which includes 76% who have never used it. Gen Z is significantly more likely to spend over an hour each day on the app (25%), compared to 9% of Millennials, 6% of Gen X, and just 2% of Boomers.

Evolving use of TikTok

We then asked TikTok users whether their use of the app has changed in the past three months. Results show that 18% of Canadians say their TikTok use has increased, 20% have decreased their use, and 59% say their use has remained the same. The results indicate that overall, the app’s popularity has not changed in the past three months.

Trust in Social Media Companies

Given the spotlight put on the usage and storage of personal data by social media companies in recent years, we also asked Canadian social media users which app they would trust most with their personal data. Overall, 48% of Canadians trust Facebook and 32% trust Instagram (for a total of 80% across Meta apps). 14% of users most trust Twitter and just 6% of Canadians most trust TikTok. 68% of Boomers say they trust Facebook over the other three apps, while Gen Z were more likely than other generations to most trust TikTok (12%).

Social Media Usage

The findings also show that 1 in 5 (21%) Canadians are not using social media. Reported social media use decreases with age, with 28% of Boomers currently not using any social media, compared to 19% of Gen X, 13% of Millennials, and 11% of Gen Z. Males also appear more likely to avoid social media than females (24% vs 17%).

Results are from a survey conducted in partnership between Narrative Research and the Logit Group. The survey was conducted online between June 6th and June 8th with 1,234 Canadians, 18 years of age or older from the Logit Group’s Canadian Omnibus. Data were weighted based on the 2016 Census, by gender, age, and region to reflect actual population distribution. As a non-probability sample a margin of error is not applied.

The questions asked were:

In the last month, which of the following options best represents the average amount of time you spend on TikTok each day?

– None (I have never used TikTok)

– None (I have not used it in the last month)

– Less than 15 minutes

– 15 minutes to 30 minutes

– 31 minutes to 1 hour

– More than 1 hour up to 2 hours

– More than 2 hours

In the past three months, has your use of TikTok…[Among those who have used TikTok in the last month, n=501]

– Increased

– Stayed the same

– Decreased

– Unsure

Which app would you trust most with your personal data, if you had to choose one?


– Instagram

– TikTok

– Twitter

– I do not use social media

For more information, please contact:

Margaret Chapman, COO & Partner, Narrative Research – 902.493-3834,


Sam Pisani, Managing Partner, Logit Group – 416.629.4116,

Narrative Research (, is a leading public opinion and market research company headquartered in Canada. The company is certified as a WBE (Women Business Enterprise). As a non-partisan, 100% Canadian-owned research company, Narrative Research is dedicated to providing clients with state-of-the-art research and strategic consulting services. 

The Logit Group ( is a leading North American data collection and market research execution company headquartered in Toronto, conducting large-scale projects for a variety of well-known research agencies and brands. Logit employs industry-best technologies across an array of methodologies, and is independent, experienced and quality-oriented. 

Follow us on Twitter at @EveryNarrative and @LogitGroup

Click here to read as a PDF.