· Contact tracing is something Canadian residents are not united about – with half willing to install such an app, and the other half not being comfortable with it.
· Across the country, those living in British Columbia and Ontario are most likely to install the app.
· Younger residents are less likely than their older counterparts to be willing to install a contact tracing app.
June 4 2020: LIKELIHOOD OF INSTALLING APP ON PHONE IF REQUESTED BY HEALTH AUTHORITIES
Canadians were given a high-level description of contact tracing and asked how likely they would be to install such an app on their phone if requested by health authorities. Results indicate that Canadians are fairly divided in terms of installing an app that would allow their location to be tracked. One-half (50%) indicated some likelihood of installing an app, while one-third (35%) are opposed to the concept, and 15 percent are on the fence. (Note, these results are among Canadian residents who did not say ‘Not applicable/I don’t do that normally/I don’t have a phone’).
Across regions, residents of BC, New Brunswick and Ontario show a slightly higher level of interest in installing a contact tracing app on their phone, compared with their counterparts. Indeed, on a 10-point scale, BC offers an average score of 6.1, while Ontario and New Brunswick fall just behind at 6.0. Despite having the highest number of COVID cases in the country, Quebec residents are the least likely to install an app on their phone, with a mean score of 5.2, followed by the Prairies (5.4). Atlantic Canadians are divided, with residents in New Brunswick more likely to install an app (6.0), followed by Nova Scotians (5.8), and Newfoundland and Labrador the least likely (5.4).
Additionally, residents who are between the ages of 18 and 24 (45%) are less likely to install an app as compared with residents 55 years of age or older (53%).
This survey was conducted online from May 27 to May 29, 2020, with 1,230 Canadians 18 years of age or older, from the Logit Group’s COVID-19 Canadian Omnibus. Fielding every two weeks, the Logit Group’s COVID-19 Omnibus surveys sample Canadians to ask about their opinions and behaviours related to the pandemic. Results were analyzed by Narrative Research. Data was weighted based on the 2016 Census, by gender, age, and region to reflect these population characteristics in each province. As a non-probability sample (i.e., a panel sample where residents have joined a panel to share their opinions), and in accordance with CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards, a margin of error is not applied.
Narrative Research, (www.narrativeresearch.ca), is one of Canada’s leading public opinion and market research companies. As a non-partisan, 100% Canadian-owned, research company, Narrative Research is dedicated to providing clients with state-of-the-art research and strategic consulting services.
The Logit Group (https://logitgroup.com/) is a leading North American data collection and market research execution company headquartered in Toronto, conducting large-scale projects for a variety of well-known research agencies and brands. Logit employs industry-best technologies across an array of methodologies, and is independent, experienced and quality-oriented.
Follow us on Twitter at @EveryNarrative and @LogitGroup
For more information, please contact:
Margaret Brigley, CEO, Narrative Research – 902.222.7066, firstname.lastname@example.org
Margaret Chapman, COO, Narrative Research – 902.222.4048, email@example.com
Sam Pisani, Managing Partner, Logit Group – 416.629.4116, firstname.lastname@example.org